'The Family Favourite'
From our Guestbook
"A really lovely peaceful trip.
What a splendid afternoon.
Thank you for an unforgettable day on Olive."
Weight: 21.15 tonnes
Type of Wherry: Wherry Yacht
Built by: Ernest Collins
Maximum capacity for a day sail: 12
Suggested capacity if sleeping aboard: 8
Why sail on Olive?
Olive was the first Wherry Yacht built by Ernest Collins in 1909. She has a loyal following and is very popular with our customers.
Her internal layout has 11 berths over four separate cabins, all with washbasins, making her a great space to hire for family groups -
kids in particular love sleeping in the bunk beds on board.
In 2021/22 she was extensively renovated by our expert craftsman and now has been fully returned to her former glory.
Key features of Olive
> Kitchen with large gas cooker, refrigerator and sink
> Traditional five octave yacht piano
> Four separate cabins
History of Olive
Launched in 1909, Olive was the first new wherry to be built by Ernest Collins and was named after his youngest daughter. Olive later appeared in the second issue of Blake's catalogue in 1909, where she was available for hire with a skipper and steward for between £10 and £14 14s depending on the time of the year.
Olive continued to sail on the Broads until the Second World War, when the Broads were closed by the Government to prevent their use by enemy seaplanes in the event of a German invasion. Due to years of neglect throughout the war, many yachts either sunk or were beyond economic repair and didn't return to the water after the return of peace in 1945 - Olive featured in the 1947 brochure alongside only three other wherry yachts. Olive was still available to hire until 1958.
She changed hands multiple times after the war and became a static house boat for four years before she was bought by Peter Bower, in 1974. Peter fully restored Olive and she became available for charter again in 1975. In 2006 she was purchased by the Wherry Yacht Charter Charitable Trust, where she took Norada's place on the WYCCT's slipway in Wroxham.