Wherry Yacht Charter sailings and events
We try to have several opportunities each year for guests to join us on public sailings, as well as running fundraising events and taking our information stall to relevant local fairs and shows. To get early notice of events, become a Friend or join our mailing list.
Can you help us spread the word about our sailings and events? See our support page for printable posters.
Sit back and relax on a beautiful 100-year old wherry yacht as our experienced skipper and crew transport you down the river in style. Learn a little about the history of wherries and their importance for the Broads, and about the work of WYC. Complimentary hot & cold drinks served, own refreshments welcome. We are sorry but we are unable to accept dogs on board for public sailings. Return land transport included where necessary. Full details of parking, meeting points, transport etc. will be given on booking.
For all sailings, please book in advance unless stated otherwise. See our contact page for details.
- Fri 1st August - Wroxham-Ranworth
- Day sailing, £30 per person. Low price for this year only, a real bargain! As of 27 July: 2 spaces left
- Sat 2nd August - Ranworth
- Short (approx. 30 min) sailings, £5 per person. Sailings start 11am, last departure 4.15pm, book on day only.
- Sun 3rd August - Ranworth-St Benet's-Ranworth
- Full afternoon/evening sailing to the St Benet's Abbey Annual Service Reduced price: £40 per person. Includes afternoon tea served on board. As of 27 July: 3 spaces left
- Mon 4th August - Ranworth-Wroxham
- Day sailing, £30 per person. Low price for this year only, a real bargain! As of 27 July: sorry, sold out
- Fri 12th Sept - Wroxham-Stalham
- Day sailing, £45 per person. As of 27 July: sorry, sold out
- Sun 14th Sept - Stalham-How Hill
- Afternoon sailing, £25 per person. Transport arrangements allow for time at the Heritage Open Day event (see above). As of 27 July: spaces left
- Mon 29th Sept - How Hill-Wroxham
- Day sailing, £35 per person. Our last public sailing of the year. As of 27 July: sold out
- Sat 2nd August & Sun 3rd August - Wherry on view
- When she is not sailing, (see above) our beautiful 99-year old wherry yacht White Moth will be available for viewing, moored at Ranworth Staithe. Talk to our volunteers about sailing and preserving these historic vessels, and find out about their role in Broads history. Sat: 10am-11am. Sun: 10am-12:30pm. We'll also have a stall for information and merchandise, and a second hand book stall.
- Sat 2nd August - Friends' bring and share supper
- For Friends only, a chance to enjoy a shared meal aboard a wherry yacht moored in Malthouse Broad at Ranworth. To register for this free event, members can contact the Friends by phone or email. Food arrangements will be made nearer the time.
- Sat 13th & Sun 14th Sept - Wherry on view, Museum of the Broads, Stalham
- This excellent local museum is open free of charge for the Heritage Open Days, with a wherry yacht on view (also free). Features heritage crafts, a Sunday BBQ, and river trips on their steam boat, Falcon (cost applies). Museum hours are 10.30am-4pm, and our wherry will depart at 3pm on Sunday for How Hill (cost applies - see above). See the Museum of the Broads website for more event details.
- Mon 15th to Sun 28th September - Residential courses at How Hill, and wherry on view
- Residential course: are you interested in learning more about wherries as well as experiencing some superb sailing? Our friends at How Hill are offering a very special break, either Sunday 14th – Wednesday 17th or Wednesday 17th – Saturday 20th September. Each course includes two full sailing days: one upstream from How Hill House to Barton Broad and on to Wayford or Stalham, and the other downstream, under Ludham Bridge to St Benet's Abbey and onto South Walsham Broad. Three nights' full board, sailing sessions and evening talks are included, for only £330.00 per person. To book, please call Sharon at How Hill on 01692 678555.
Public viewings: exact days and times TBC. Our wherry yacht will be moored at How Hill over this fortnight to offer schools' activities as well as the above How Hill courses. When not otherwise engaged, she will be on view to the public as much as possible. More details will be published here nearer the time.
- Sat 20th September - Friends' exclusive sailings and Annual Dinner
- We are pleased to offer Friends-only sailings on the afternoon of 20th September between How Hill and Ludham* for just £8. In the evening we will have our Annual Friends' Dinner at the excellent Wroxham Barns Restaurant, a private venue offering us a two-course meal and space for a review of the year's achievements. The cost is £15. Full details including a menu and booking form will be included in the May edition of our "Gaff Line" Friends' newsletter.
* Round trip if low numbers, otherwise organised as two one-way trips with passengers walking in the other direction (approx. 2mi). Transport can arranged for those not up to the walk!
Want to sail with us?
Join our mailing list and be first to hear of opportunities.